Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Potato Soup

Potato soup is one of those super easy recipes that I often forget it is a recipe. I, often, treat this as a stone soup sort of recipe because I use whatever I find.
The basic formula is onions, potatoes, milk.
I have made a dairy free version of this with mashed potatoes and a little chicken stock. Personally, I prefer a dairy version even if I have to use soy milk.
For the basic recipe (feel free to double, triple etc)
6 potatoes scrubbed and cubed (keeping the peels on will help the pieces retain their shape and not get as mushy)
1 onion, diced
2 cans evaporated milk (or about 3-4 cups milk of any type)
1/2 stick nucoa
Melt Nucoa in pot (you don't need a very big pot if you are just making this amount). I discovered that making this in cast iron will cause the bottom to stick horribly so I recommend something not cast iron - or stay attentive so it doesn't burn). Saute onion in butter. I prefer a light saute so that the onion doesn't get too brown. Add potatoes, stir a little to coat the potatoes in butter and onions. Pour over milk. Let simmer until potatoes are soft but not mushy. This should take about 15-20 minutes depending on the heat. Stir often to prevent burning.
When I made the soup this week, I added a little chicken gravy that I had made to give it a little depth and to use up some of the gravy.
I like to season the soup with nothing but pepper but that's just me.
You can add bacon to this dish (you can actually use bacon to fry the onion if you like) or clams/oysters. You can top with cheese and green onion. Let your imagination run wild.

No comments: