Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gluten Free Rolls

I purchased the Culinary Institute of Art's Gluten Free Baking. I highly recommend it. Their soft rolls recipe is very good. I played with it a little and still had success. The big trick with this recipe is that you make the rolls in cupcake pans and it really works. The recipe makes 24 rolls but I found that it filled the pan too full and had problems with dough flowing over as it rose so I would suggest trying for 30-36 rolls.
The recipe is as follows and has a few glitches:
Flour#5:
1 3/4 cup white rice flour
1 1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 3/4 cup soy flour
1/2 cup whey powder (I used powdered milk)

This flour blend makes 5 1/4 cups of flour - the roll recipe calls for 5 3/4. The first time I made the rolls I just used the 5 1/4 cups of flour and they came out just fine. The second time I used what was left of my pound of soy flour (about 1/2 cup) and 1 3/4 cups oat flour and it came out pretty much the same. A pound of soy flour is a little over 2 cups so you can use a whole pound if you wish.

Roll recipe:
5 3/4 cups flour #5
1 TB plus 1 teas salt (I always omit the salt)
1/3 cup sugar
3 TBs Guar gum
2 TBs instant yeast
3 1/2 cups water
2 eggs
3/4 cup butter, melted

I used the fermented method which has you put two cups flour, two cups water and one TB yeast in a bowl and let sit for an hour prior to making the dough. At this time I measure all the dry ingredients together since I have everything out.
After the first hour, pour the yeasty water into the dry ingredients and add the remaining wet ingredients. Mix for several minutes (if using a mixer then about 6 minutes on low).
If you want it flavored somehow - this is the time you add to the dough. The second rolls I made I added a little more sugar (1/2 cup vs the 1/3 cup) and cinnamon to the dough (and then sprinkled the top with sugar and cinnamon just before baking).
Scoop the mixture into greased cupcake pans (about 1/2 full or they will overflow during the rising).
Let rise in a warm, humid environment. I always heat my stove on warm while I am mixing the dough and then turn it off and put the pans in the stove. I recommend putting cake pans underneath to catch any overflow.
Let rise about 1 hour and remove from stove (if in stove). Preheat to 350 and bake about 15 minutes. Let rest on counter for 5 minutes or so before removing from pan. Temptation prevents all the rolls from resting and that's okay too.

No comments: