Friday, February 11, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Cake

In honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I would share a favorite chocolate recipe. This was actually a recipe from the Two Fat Ladies called Adult Chocolate Cake. I don't know if I have altered it in any way since I've had it in my files for many years. This was a wonderful recipe I discovered before going gluten free but was a nice recipe to have when flour was a no-no. It's a really rich dessert. It should be refrigerated overnight but we've eaten it pretty fresh out of the oven and it was still good. Feel free to use semi-sweet or dark chocolate since they are similar in texture to bittersweet (I haven't tried milk chocolate so I don't know how it would alter the recipe).

Flourless Chocolate Cake
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 1/2 cup sugar
5 eggs
Grease 8" - 9" cake pan. Break chocolate into bowl. Set over saucepan of barely simmering water and melt chocolate. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Cut butter into little pieces and beat into chocolate. Add sugar and blend well. In other bowl, beat eggs until very frothy, then gently fold into mixture. Pour into cake pan and place in roasting pan. Add water to roasting pan - 1 inch up side of cake pan. Bake in a preheat oven at 350 for 1 hour, then let cool completely in roasting pan. When cold, remove from water and chill in refrigerator overnight.

No comments: