Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Beef Stew

One thing I have missed has been beef stew. Our family has traditionally made stew with pre-packaged mix but it has wheat in it. Tonight I made a stew that was so simple and so good, I can't imagine ever using a package again.

1 package stew meat (I think the package I used was just over a pound)
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 pounds baby carrots
5-6 celery stalks, chopped
8 medium potatoes, cubed
1 quart canned tomatoes (I can my own and this particular jar had zucchini with it)
Beef Bouillion
Oil

Heat oil in large pot. Brown stew meat in batches to get them good and browned. Add onions and fry for a few minutes until the onions begin to brown. Add tomatoes and about 5 quarts water. Add vegetables. Add bouillion to taste (I added about 1/2 cup for all that water). The broth should just be a little salty and beefy without being overpowering. Bring to a boil on high, turn down to medium and let cook for a couple hours. The longer it cooks the better the flavor. Keep an eye on the liquid and don't let it boil down below the top of the meat and veggies.

No comments: