Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year Resolutions

Most people start the new year off with resolutions. The majority of resolutions fail. I saw a statistic today that says only 12% of resolutions actually make it to the end of the year.
I don't make resolutions - I make goals. This year I determined 3 goals: to lose weight, improve my income and better my health. To clarify I wrote out the goals - To lose 1-2 pounds a week, To get published and increase my income, and To improve my health/well being.
With each of those, I broke down the goals further into mini-goals that would allow me to meet my big goals. I gave parameters where I felt I needed them and left others more ambiguous so that I can offer myself the greatest chance of success. You will see that my weight loss goal is a weekly goal not a yearly goal. For the next 52 weeks, I have a weekly goal to lose 1-2 pounds. This is considered healthy weight loss. In the end, I could lose up to 104 pounds. But if I set my goal at 104 pounds I wouldn't make past January because that's not a manageable goal to me. I would want to lose the weight all at once because I like instant gratification as much as the next guy. That would be setting myself up for failure but making it each week then I have a chance to pick myself up if I have a bad week. My diet cannot fail because every Monday it starts over again.
Will it be successful - only time will tell. For now, I am hopeful.
My diet sub-goals will work well with this blog - I plan on increasing my vegetable/fruit intake, adding whole grains and looking for ways to increase my nutrition without increasing my calories.
This week I will start offering my interesting vegetable ideas. I have managed to slowly change my family's eating habits and they love vegetables now. I will share these techniques with you and soon your family will be begging for more.

No comments: