Monday, March 5, 2012

Foraging - touching base

I have nothing that I can think to share today. I am uninspired and my brain is blank. I've been thinking a lot about what foods we eat and where they come from. It all started with this article.
I don't have good answers which is why it's gotten me thinking. That coupled with finances has got me wondering if we could really survive off of foraging. I can't hunt - just don't know how and haven't been able to talk myself into it. I do fish but I haven't been overly successful with great fishing. That's something I plan on working on this summer.
We can forage but will it be enough. It's a learn as we go and I still don't know enough. In the meantime, I've started some of my garden plants inside. We have jalapenos, tomatoes, pumpkins, watermelon and maybe a few other odd seeds that I had leftover. I bought a package of sweet peppers and will start them this week. I will, also, be planting some spinach in an indoor container. The plan is to have indoor plants and garden plants so that if the weather is uncooperative I will still have food, how much I can't say. We'll have a few more varieties that I'll plant from seed not starts.
I look forward to what the year is bringing. We're still getting a little snow and cold weather but warmer weather is coming and the foraging will begin. We'll see where it goes from there.

No comments: