Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

Last week, Lisa Hall at Fatal Foodies wrote that she was planning on making cupcakes in ice cream cones for a party. She shared her idea and it got me thinking, I had bought at some point in time a silicon mold that made cakes into ice cream cones. I had never used it. My son's birthday was Sunday so it would be a perfect time to try it out.

This was at the end, I didn't think to take pictures until I had baked them.

I had run out of time on Saturday (the day of the party) so I opted to us a cake mix. The mix filled the mold and most of a small tray of mini-cupcakes. My first mistake was that I over-filled the mold. I had done it intentionally, thinking that the extra would make a lovely rounded top giving it a more ice cream on a cone look. (think muffins) That's not what happened, the batter just oozed around the top and over the sides.

They came out of the mold really nicely and were so cute.
Right away, I noticed a problem. The stems were soft. I made up a quick peanut butter frosting (peanut butter, powdered sugar and a bit of milk). The idea was to frost a thin layer of peanut butter and then a scoop of Cool Whip making it look like ice cream.


These pictures tell a lie, it was work to make them look like this for the pictures. The cake was not firm enough to stand up to the weight of the frosting and Cool Whip. The tops fell off. The one in my hand lost about an inch of the bottom due to the weight. I made them look so cute and then dumped them Cool Whip first into a bowl so they could be eaten.
I want to try the mold again but it will have to be with a homemade batter and a denser cake. The packaged mixes are far to light to hold up to this but they were still a cute idea and the taste was amazing.
To see Lisa's end result visit here.

No comments: