Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Easy Breadmachine Bread Recipe

I couldn't believe how easy this was and how nicely we ended up with a loaf of bread. The only problem I ran into was that I wasn't patient when it came to cutting the loaf. I should have waited for it to cool before cutting. Hot bread is great for eating with butter - not so great for slicing for sandwiches (we ended up eating open face sandwiches because the bread was so thick).
We have a borrowed breadmaker from my cousin so I wasn't quite sure how it was going to work. The recipe was a little small for the maker and ended up cooking the crust darker than I would have liked. However, that is adjustable so I will make sure to cook the bread on a lighter setting. I thought about altering the recipe to make a bigger loaf but I think the size was perfect for my family - remember homemade bread does not have the same preservatives as store bought bread and will go bad faster (that is if you don't devour it while it's still hot). Feel free to substitute the honey for sugar but do not leave it out (the yeast needs sugar to make the bread rise). You can split the AP flour with some wheat but it won't be the same bread and you may need to alter the liquid. I'm gonna try it with Whole White Wheat and see if it comes out without too much trouble.

Sandwich Bread
1 cup warm water (should feel comfortable to the touch, not too hot)
2 TB oil or melted butter
2 TB honey
3 cups AP or Bread Flour
2 1/4 teas yeast (or one packet)

Staring with the water, layer the ingredients into the canister of a breadmaker. Set on white bread and let run. In about 3 1/2 - 4 hours (depending on maker) you'll have a loaf of bread. Remove from maker and tip canister upside down on clean counter or plate to remove bread. Let cool before slicing.

No comments: