Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Navajo Fry Bread

I can't explain why but the last couple of months all I have craved is fry bread. I keep looking for someone to make me some. I, finally, talked my husband into making me some only to find the recipe is so easy, I can have it every day (and I should!)
I'm sharing two variations that I have in my recipe files. We've tried the first one which is so easy that I don't know why I kept the second. Make sure your dough is not overly sticky otherwise you'll never get it rolled out. We cut our dough into squares but you can pat it into tortillas and fry. We used about 1/2 inch of oil in our frying pan for our small pieces which worked perfectly. Watch them because they do burn.

Navajo Fry Bread
Mix:
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup lukewarm water
Stir with fingers until dough consistency. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into squares. Fry until puffy and golden on both sides. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot with honey, jam, yogurt, gravy etc.

Navajo Fry Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup hot water
Oil for deep-fat frying
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in hot water to form a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. In a skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry bread in hot oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Yield: 2 servings

No comments: