Friday, June 10, 2011

Banana Cream Pie

I took the banana pudding recipe from Country Recipes by Martha Storey (same as the piecrust) and adapted it slightly to turn it into banana cream pie. Something I didn't know about banana pudding is that the pudding is not banana flavored but that bananas are layered in the pudding. I layered bananas in my cream pie and found it had wonderful banana flavor (too weird).

Banana Cream Pie
1 piecrust, baked at 350 until golden brown
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons AP flour
2 eggs
1/2 teas vanilla extract
2-3 very ripe but still firm bananas
Whipping cream
additional sugar
In medium saucepan, heat milk until nearly boiling but do not let boil. In a bowl (I used my 4 cup measuring cup that I measured the milk with), mix together sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla. Add to milk. On medium heat, stirring constantly, cook pudding until thickened. Slice bananas and layer in piecrust. Pour over pudding and let chill. Meanwhile, whip cream and add sugar to taste (I think it's about 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup cream but I didn't measure).
If you just want pudding then line a casserole dish with Nilla wafers in place of the crust.

No comments: