Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bulk Piecrust

I've slightly adapted this recipe from Country Cooking cookbook. I love this cookbook and should have written down more information about the cookbook when I brought my notes in to work on the blog. I do know that it was published from Storey publishing (one of my favorite publishers - all things country living).

5 cups flour (I mixed all purpose unbleached and whole white wheat)
2 cups cold butter
1 egg
3/4-1 cup ice water (I stuck mine in a bottle in the freezer while prepping the rest)
Cut butter into flour. I followed the recipe and used my stand mixer. This didn't work as well with the butter as it would have with shortening. The butter is rather stiff so it would have gone better and faster to just use a pastry cutter. Mix egg with water to make one cup of liquid. Slowly add to flour to make a stiff dough. Pat dough into a ball and set in the refrigerator, covered. Let chill atleast 20-30 minutes. Pull off a ball of dough about the size of a baseball and roll into a pie crust.

Tomorrow I will share the filling for the banana cream pie.

No comments: