Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kettle Corn

I apologize for not posting yesterday. My husband and I made a nearly fatal error (not exactly but it sure felt like it) by leaving a cake with cream cheese frosting out on the counter. It made us horribly ill. My poor digestive system is not really ready to forgive me yet but it's healing nicely. Food poisoning is never fun. It doesn't happen often for us even though we are not overly cautious when it comes to food sanitation. I believe in good healthy habits but I am not over the top. The cake we had did not say it had cream cheese frosting and since we purchased it we thought nothing of leaving it on the counter over night. Anyway, this leaves me terribly behind with recipes. I am really having to think this through. I have decided, however, that June will be the month of pies. My husband and I have set aside a few days to experiment with pie crusts and will need a fair amount of fillings to try them with. I figure it's a good time to share pie recipes - sweet and savory.
For today, I thought I'd share a simple recipe. Kettle corn is a fair favorite - who can resist those large metal bowls swirling with sweet popping corn. It's an easy thing to make at home and so simple you'll wonder why you ever bought it in the first place. Using a popcorn oil will give you a buttery flavor but a plain cooking oil will let the sweetness take center stage.

Kettle Corn
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
3 TBS white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Place the popcorn and sugar in a large pot with vegetable oil. Over a medium heat, begin to pop the popcorn. Constantly shake the pot to ensure that the popcorn kernels and oil do not burn. Once the popping has slowed, remove the pot from heat.

No comments: