Friday, April 6, 2012

Homemade gummy candy

Yesterdays menu:  Breakfast - fried egg with grape tomatoes, Lunch - leftovers from dinner, Dinner - a one pot dish with cabbage, broccoli, onions, peppers and polish sausage served over barley.

One of my favorite treats is gummy candy but I hate all the artificial gunk in them.  My husband and I were talking about this one day and he mentioned a woman he knew growing up who made all natural gummy bears to sell in his community.  Yesterday, I thought it was time to see if there was a recipe online.  The one I am sharing today is the first recipe I found.  It's not all natural since it uses packaged Jello but it was so easy that I was glad I started there instead of picking a complicated natural recipe.  My mom had said she wanted a particular jelly candy - it's similar to a gummy candy but with nonpareil candies coating it.  I rushed home and made this candy.  The gummy part is great.  I don't recommend trying to coat them in nonpareils.  They were hard to keep on the candy and by morning had disintegrated into a rainbow goo which stains (they were making lovely colors on my plates last night when they were being attached).  The candy replication for my mother was not a success but I did manage to make a really good gummy candy.  It was so easy that I may never buy gummy candy again.
I did not use a mold but poured it into a 9x9 glass pan.  They're not pretty but great for learning.  If you choose to use molds - do not grease and let the candies sit for awhile.  The recipe said 20 minutes but mine was still tacky (I did double the batch) which was perfect for adding the nonpareil mess but difficult for removing.  I just cut mine up with scissors to make bite sized candies.

Gummy Candy
1 3oz box of Jello
2 packages of knox gelatin
1/3 cup water
Add water to a saucepan and sprinkle on Jello and gelatin.  Let sit 5-10 minutes.  Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until all the gelatin has dissolved (2-5 minutes).  Pour into molds or glass pan (ungreased).  Let sit for 20 minutes before removing.
Easy Peasy!

No comments: