Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lemon Curd

Menu for yesterday - last of the homemade instant oatmeal for breakfast and leftovers from Sunday dinner (veggies and pork chops cooked with cream of chicken soup and rice). Dinner was fantastic. My husband put 4 chicken thighs in a casserole dish (3 for dinner, 1 for my lunch). He covered them with leftover pasta sauce and sprinkled on feta cheese and then baked the whole thing at 350 until the chicken was perfectly cooked. The feta doesn't melt but makes a crust that tasted amazing. He also sliced up sweet potatoes and baked them into chips and served it all with millet groats. The millet groats have no flavor but covered in sauce from the chicken they were amazing. It could easily become a favorite grain, especially since they come in bags that you boil them in (super easy).
I didn't take time to make the lemon curd last night since I wanted to do some research on canning it first. Lemon curd is made with eggs so I wasn't sure they would be shelf stable. I want to send some to my friend in LA who sent me the lemons. I did learn I can seal the jars but they need to be used in two months - that should work to get a jar to her.
This recipe makes a tiny amount and can easily be doubled. I'll be making 2 triple batches because I am not confident in the ability to make a 6x batch. I, also, skip the zest. I like the creaminess and don't want anything chewy to disrupt the wonderfulness of this spread. I've made this with lemon/lime juice and grapefruit juice. I did purchase real butter for this since I have never made it with nucoa.
To can - process in a water bath for atleast 20 minutes.

Lemon Curd
2-3 lemons
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
Zest 1 lemon. Squeeze juice from lemons to measure 1/3 cup. In heavy saucepan, combine juice, zest, sugar and eggs. Whisk until blended. Place over med-low heat. Stir constantly, slowly add butter - let melt before adding more. Cook slowly until thickened 10-15 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cover with plastic wrap to prevent film on surface.

No comments: