Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bubble and Squeak

I am not certain that this is Irish but it's something that makes me think of Irish foods and is a recipe we make often. Now if you look up the recipe I am sure you will find many varieties and this may not be one. This is what my family makes and loves.
Bubble and Squeak actually comes from the sounds the dish makes as you cook and eat it.
Bubble and Squeak
1/2 cabbage (or more)
1/2 pd bacon
onion, chopped

I use scissors to cut the bacon into 1/2 inch slices and drop them into a hot skillet (use a fairly deep skillet). Fry until it's cooked but still soft. Add chopped onion. Fry until onions are starting to be translucent. Chop cabbage into bite sized pieces or so and add to the skillet. Fry until cabbage is coated in bacon grease and top with lid to steam the cabbage cooked. All in all this recipe should take about 15 minutes to cook - the cabbage should be firm but cooked.

No comments: