Monday, March 7, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

I still struggle with getting a great loaf of Soda bread. Yesterday's batch was really tasty but I think I overmixed it making it slightly tough.
Soda bread is not really a "bread" but more of a large scone (not like those dry scones you get in the US but more biscuit-y).
They are super easy to make but you need to treat the batter a little more gently. I added the currants after I mixed the dough and I think it would serve better to add them in before adding the liquid.

Irish Soda Bread
2 cups flour
2 TB sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda (fresh and not clumpy)
3 TB butter or margarine
1/3 cup currants
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used plain milk)
opt - 1 tsp orange extract
Mix together flour, sugar, and baking soda. Cut in cold butter until resembles corn meal (not really as much butter as a normal biscuit so it may not exactly resemble corn meal but shouldn't have any chunks of butter). Stir in currants. Make a small well in center of flour and add egg and milk (and extract if using). Stir until just moistened. Knead gently 4-5 times and pat into a round loaf. Bake on greased baking sheet at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
Note: some citrus extracts work better if blended into the egg before adding to the batter. Could be good with lemon extract.

No comments: