Monday, March 21, 2011

Irish Cream Bars revisited

I was able to find time last week to make this recipe. I changed it and actually found I could make a dairy free version that didn't feel dairy free.
The original recipe is in a post from last week for those who want to look at it.
These are rather simple. I bought irish cream extract from Watkins but it's seasonal so only available in the winter (if they carry year to year). I did find that King Arthur carries irish cream extract but I can't comment on the taste.

Irish Cream Bars
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup nucoa
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
1 12.3 oz block firm tofu
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup non-dairy milk with 1 teas irish cream extract
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
Heat oven to 350ºF. In medium bowl, mix 3/4 cup flour, nucoa, powdered sugar and cocoa with spoon until soft dough forms. Press in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches. Bake 10 minutes.
In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with wire whisk until blended. Pour over baked layer. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is set. Cool slightly; refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting.

I used a whisk on the tofu before I added the other ingredients.
I made a double batch in 2 seperate 9x9 inch pans and I noticed that it took longer to cook than the 15-20 minutes and actually having it cook a little longer meant a better texture.
These are better cooked the day before instead of the day of.

No comments: