Thursday, July 7, 2011

Graham Crackers

I used the recipe from a King Arthur Flour cookbook with some slight alterations. I will say that if you have plans to use these crackers for s'mores then omit the spices. The crackers have great flavor but my family didn't quite care for the cinnamon cracker with chocolate and marshmallow. (BTW - the marshmallows toast really nice on a fork over a candle but for the s'mores we broiled them in the oven.)

Graham Crackers
1 cup graham flour (can use any whole wheat flour)
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teas baking powder
1 teas cinnamon
1/4 teas gd cloves
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, chilled
1/4 cup milk
Mix together all the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter, can use a pastry cutter or a fork. I found it worked best to cut the butter until it was little bits and then use my fingers to mix the remaining butter into the flour. Work until it resembles corn meal (no lumps of any kind). Working with my fingers also allowed me to find any brown sugar lumps.
Add the milk and combine. The dough will be very crumbly and using your hands to squeeze the dough into balls works better than trying to stir the dough, just be sure to break up the balls and repeat until there is no dry flour left. Form two balls and flatten. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for 1 hour (minimum). Mine ended up staying overnight because I got busy with other things.
Remove 1 section of the dough. The instructions have you roll the dough out and transfer it to a baking sheet. I found it worked better just to work in the baking sheet. I had to remove the handles to my rolling pin to make it fit in the 9x12-13 baking sheet.
Break up the dough into your baking sheet that you have lightly oiled (I used oil for the first and butter for the second - the butter is harder to work with but makes a better tasting cracker). Mash the dough into the baking sheet and work it until it is solid and flat. Roll the dough until it is even and smooth. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the dough into the size crackers you wish to use - I aimed for about a 3 inch square cracker. Use a fork to put holes in the crackers so they don't puff up.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until the crackers brown and are crisp. Let cool before removing from the pan.
Repeat with the second ball of dough.

No comments: