Friday, July 8, 2011

Vanilla Ice Cream

I'm not as prepared today and I would have liked. I often write my blog at work so if I leave my notes at home then I am stuck. I didn't realize I hadn't shared my bread recipe here so I can't share with you how I turned it into cinnamon rolls but I can share with you how I made vanilla ice cream in my gel canister. I mentioned that the gel canister ice cream maker makes an icy sort of product. I read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that you can add 1 teas of Xanthum gum to make a creamier product. We don't use Xanthum gum in our house, always opting to go with the far less expensive Guar gum. The end product was a little pastier than I prefer so I am going to experiment with the amount and may be posting more on this as I figure out the perfect balance. I also don't use cream in my ice cream which means a slightly lower fat ice cream which changes the consistency as well. However, with all that said my family couldn't stop raving about this experiment.

Vanilla Ice Cream
1 can evaporated milk
Enough whole milk added to the evaporated milk to make 3 cups
1 cup sugar
1 teas vanilla (I thought it really should have more since the flavor was rather muted)
1 teas Guar gum
Mix together until smooth and pour into ice cream maker. Process according to manufacturers instructions.
Something to note here - the guar gum made the ice cream fluffy and come right to the top of the container. I think it added 50% more volume to the ice cream which made a difference when I moved it to the container for freezing. My son got a bowl of ice cream out of the maker because I didn't have enough room to freeze it.
The final product is quite similar to store bought ice cream.

No comments: