Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows

I had a busy fun fourth of July weekend. I got time to do lots of cooking and creating which helps me move this blog forward. There's something about spending time in the kitchen when there's nothing that has to be done. We BBQ'd for the 4th but it didn't really require a lot of preparation so everything I did in the kitchen was because I wanted to.
On the Feingold diet we discovered that S'mores was not a possibility. The marshmallows and graham crackers both had things our son couldn't eat. I had made marshmallows once before with little success but I was willing to try again. I used this recipe from Alton Brown. It was quicker than I thought. My marshmallows didn't need all the mixing time stated which meant that my vanilla came in a little late but we'll know better next time. Within 2 hours the marshmallows were set.
I was excited to find that Karo syrup has gone back to a natural recipe - corn syrup, salt and vanilla. No more High Fructose Corn Syrup which kept me from having to come up with an alternative. I may still work on making golden syrup to replace corn syrup but I don't have to. I didn't really like the corn starch/powdered sugar blend so I may try it with just powdered sugar.
It did set up fast so I wasn't able to smooth it out to be pretty but it was sure easy and tasty - don't see any reason to ever buy marshmallows again. I used a stand mixer (just thought you should know) and I think the marshmallows alone will make that a must have. I think that if I don't let them set up right away I can make pretty simple rice krispie treats out of it.

No comments: