Monday, August 15, 2011

Berry Pudding Cake

We went blackberry picking this weekend. Normally we come home with gallons of berries that have turned into soup because they are so juicy and it's rather hot when we pick. Those berries are often run through a jelly bag to get out any debris and I use it for jelly or berry flavored desserts but I never get to make berry filled desserts. This time the picking was really slim and the berries a little drier so what I came home with actually resembled berries. With so many recipes to choose from I opted to try a berry cobbler called Berry Pudding Cake. It's a sweet contrast to the more tart berries. The cake was rather tasty but didn't come out as pudding-like as I thought it would. It could be because the berries were drier but I think I liked it just a touch drier than I expected because it was easier to eat. I will share that any berries with flour on them that do not get covered with batter will most likely still have flour on them when you take the dessert out of the oven. It didn't ruin the cake by any stretch but I thought it took away from the beauty of the berries peeking through the cake. I wish I had taken a picture to share with you. You can use any berries but I recommend adding more sugar if you use tarter berries. My family thought this could have been a little sweeter but no real complaints. We served it with Cool Whip because I happen to find a tub in my freezer.
Berry Pudding Cake
4 cups berries - Spread in greased 9x9 pan.
2-3 TB sugar
2 TB flour
Combine and sprinkle over berries.
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
3 tb butter, soft
1 egg
¼ teas vanilla
Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg and vanilla.
Add:
1 cup flour
1 teas baking power
1/3 cup milk.
Beat well and drop by spoonfuls over fruit and spread evenly. Bake in 350 oven for 30-40 minutes.

No comments: