Friday, August 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Sauce

My friend over at Mrs. Undomestic was talking about making your own pancake syrup. I love making syrups and fun little sauces. It's an inexpensive way to add more pizzazz to pancakes, ice cream, whatever and it's fun to experiment. Many of the sauces/syrups I make last a long time in the fridge, however sauces like this one do have a tendency to crystalize if left too long. It's easy to fix - just heat up the sauce in the microwave until all the sugar melts but over time that too will alter the composition of the sauce. The real solution - use it up.

This recipe was given to me by a friend ages ago and really got me into making canned sauces and syrups. This sauce makes 1 jar so I don't go through the canning process since I just keep it in the fridge. If you want to save this on the shelf or give it as a gift, pour the hot sauce into a hot jar and top immediately. If you worry about the seal not taking - boil for 10-15 minutes.

Peanut Butter Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbs. butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup creamy peanut butter
Place 1st 3 ingredients in microwave safe bowl, microwave 3-4 minutes uncovered, checking periodically until bubbly. If overcooked will taste burnt. Add milk and peanut butter. Keep in glass jar in fridge.

No comments: