Monday, August 8, 2011

Turkey Gravy

My mom found a turkey in her freezer and gave it to us. We decided that it should probably be cooked so we can make room for future turkeys. For Sunday dinner we opted to have all the trimmings - turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, yams and green beans (okay most of the trimmings).
I made the best turkey gravy and wanted to share it. Turkey gravy is one of those things that depends on all the drippings from your turkey so there's no real exact measurings but I will do my best for you.
I do not seperate the fat out of my gravy because I always use a fat anyway.

Turkey Gravy
Drippings from 1 turkey and scrappings (all the little bits of cooked blood, skin, fat and meat from the bottom of the pan) should equal about 1 1/2 cups
1 cup flour
3 cans evaporated milk

Let drippings cool for a really smooth gravy. Pour drippings into saucepan and use a spatula to get all the stuff. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time and whisk. You should have a really thick milky concoction. Set on medium heat and stir with whisk until lumps are all gone (as much as possible). Stir in cans of milk, one at a time until thick and smooth. Cook until a good gravy consistency - will thicken more when cooling. Season with salt and pepper or other seasonings as desired.
Enjoy

No comments: