Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cinnamon Pears

I'm still waiting for things to get ready for canning. I'm dreaming of jams and syrups. I may just have to go buy some fruit to start. Hopefully we'll be getting some blackberries soon. I'll let you know as I will probably share blackberry recipes.
This cinnamon pear recipe is the best canned pears I have ever eaten. It's the sort of canned good that makes you sad when you eat the last one and so happy when you find one hidden in the back of the pantry. It's really easy and one of the first recipes I used when I learned how to can. The flavor is a sweet spicy sort of fruit that feels like a dessert.
I think I should probably do a canning tutorial for those who aren't experienced canners (I don't mean experienced like a master canner - just someone who's done more than once).
Canning is actually fairly easy and the recipes I share can be done by anyone with success.
I'm also a lazy canner so I rarely actually peel the fruit. If you don't want to - that's not a problem just make sure the skin is firm and unblemished. It does make a different textured product but that's not a bad thing.
You can, also, substitute apples for the pears.

Cinnamon Pears
2 qt water
1 package red hot candies
4 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 quart peeled and sliced pears
Combine 1st 6 ingredients in large pan. Bring to boil. Add pears and cook until tender. Fill jars and seal while hot. Process in bath 15 minutes.

No comments: