Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chicken Biscuits

I try to plan meals before going grocery shopping so I know that I have everything I need, somehow last week I forgot what I was planning to make when I opted to not get certain things at the store. It happens - I change plans due to prices and sales. The Chicken Cresent Rolls I had planned to make turned out to be a more expensive dish than I had originally planned for. When I passed on the cream cheese I thought it was part of breakfast because I had planned on getting bagels (I wrote bagels down so we'd have something to go with the leftover cream cheese). Anyway, last night when I started to pull out the ingredients for this recipe - I realized that I didn't have anything but the chicken. Not one to be deterred, I made up a new recipe and we found a new family favorite. I will post the original recipe at the end of this post. Canned biscuits were on a great sale last week (3 for $1) so I had picked some up to replace the cresent rolls because those were nearly $3 for 1. Over the weekend my husband baked a 3 pound bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to prepare for a couple of dishes for the week.
So I had chicken and biscuits but I really wanted those special rolls. Okay enough with the build-up and on to the recipe

Chicken Biscuits
3 chicken breasts baked, cooled (preferrably heavily seasoned with flavored pepper and a mix seasoning - we used Mrs. Dash Feista Lime Seasoning and Citrus pepper) and chopped
1 small onion, minced (I really think 1/2 would have been better - it was too oniony for my taste but no one else felt that way)
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 lemon
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tin canned biscuits
Mix chicken, onion and celery. Juice lemon over meat and stir in yogurt. Roll biscuits flat. Top with a generous spoonful of "salad" and pinch closed. Bake on cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes at 350. Eat and enjoy.

Chicken Crescent Rolls
6 oz cooked, chopped chicken
4 oz light cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup chopped mushroom
2 T diced green onion
1 pkg crescent rolls (can of 8)
1 T melted butter
3/4 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine chopped chicken, chopped mushroom, green onion, and softened cream cheese in a bowl. Unfold crescent rolls into rectangles. Separate until there are 2 rectangles (perforations pinched together) to form a larger rectangle (there will be 4 rectangles, total). Add a 1/2 cup dollop of the chicken mixture to the center of each of the 4 rectangles. Pull the dough up over the mixture and pinch the dough closed. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with crushed croutons. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes at 375, covering loosely with aluminum foil until the last five minutes.

No comments: