Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mini Vegetable Cakes

I have to admit I have no idea where this recipe came from but I was intrigued when I discovered it amongst my recipes. I had originally planned to make this with carrots until I found two cucumber sized zucchinis in the bottom of my basket (I had thought they were cucumbers when I first saw them). I opted to use the entire Jiffy Cornbread box and make these like muffins which came out great. I, also, used pickled beets which weren't bad but I think my son would have liked them better with some other vegetable.

Mini Vegetable Cakes
1 package (8.5 ounces) corn-muffin mix
1 egg white
3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped canned beets
2 tablespoons canola oil
Combine half corn-muffin mix with egg white and water. Stir in shredded zucchini and beets. Drop batter by the tablespoon in hot canola oil. Cook 2 minutes; turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until browned.

My version:
1 package corn-muffin mix (Jiffy)
1 egg
2 med. sized zucchini (cucumber sized) shredded
1/2 cup chopped pickled beets
Mix egg into muffin mix. Mix in vegetables. Drop into muffin tins (I use silicone liners in my tins). Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until done.

No comments: