Friday, April 1, 2011

Carmelized Garlic Chicken

I don't know where I originally found this recipe or how long it sat unnoticed in my recipe file but it quickly became my family's favorite dish. I like it because it's easy - last night I made it with top ramen as a side dish. The chicken was ready before the water was boiling. I do cheat a little and buy chicken stir-fry (thin strips of boneless skinless chicken breast) but it can still be fairly quick if you cut your chicken into strips instead of using whole breasts. I am going to share the recipe as it was originally written (or copied as the case may be) and then the instructions for how I have been doing it.

Caramelized Garlic Chicken
3 teas olive oil
6 cloves garlic, pressed
6 teas brown sugar
6 chicken breasts, halved
oven to 500 degrees. line shallow roasting pan with foil, lightly greased. heat oil in small skillet over med-high heat until hot. add garlic, cook 1-2 minutes or until soft but not brown. remove from heat and add sugar. place chicken in roasting pan, spreading mixture over chicken. bake 10-15 minutes.

The only real ingredient change I have is I use an entire head of garlic. I remove the loose paper and seperate the cloves, attempting to remove the hard bottom. I then smash the cloves with something heavy, such as a full can of veggies. Smashing the cloves makes the cloves easy to peel and removes the need to chop the garlic (or press it). You can cheat completely and buy pre-minced garlic which is what I normally use when I don't have several bulbs of garlic needing to be used.
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add garlic and let cook for a few minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the chicken pieces (as I previously mentioned I use sliced pieces of chicken). Let fry for a few minutes while stirring frequently. Top with 6 TB brown sugar and cook until the chicken is done and the sugar has liquified.
We have served this over rice and noodles. I think it would be great with anything, including a tortilla. It's not really spicy and it's nicely sweet.

No comments: