Monday, April 25, 2011

Cinnamon Snails

Years ago, we saw this recipe on an episode of Zoom. I made it several times for maybe a year or two and then completely forgot about it. Recently, I came across it in my files and thought what a fun recipe. It's super easy. I made it with margarine this weekend and the thing about margarine to remember - when you melt it, it becomes fat sitting on water. I used all the liquid from the margarine and my family could not tell which pieces had been dipped in the fat and which were in the water which goes to show that you could use a different liquid.
It is time consuming to make these "snails" so I suggest making them for special occasions or just because instead of making them a daily snack (unless you have the eaters make their own).
I have only used white bread to make these but I think they could be good with a wheat bread. Homemade bread may not hold up to the rolling (mine wouldn't).

Cinnamon Snails
slice of bread with the crusts removed
cream cheese - leave it out of the refrigerator for a little while so that it gets soft.
three tablespoons melted butter
some sugar mixed with a little bit of cinnamon
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Flatten the slice of bread by rolling over it with a rolling pin. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese over the flattened bread. Roll up the bread and seal the seam with more cream cheese. Slice the roll into three pieces. Dip each piece into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar. Put them on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil. Put the snails in the oven and bake them for 8-10 minutes or until they are crisp and brown. Let your snails cool a bit before eating.

No comments: